Lucas Park Dog Park (LPDP) is a self-directed playground with no day-to-day management supervision. Lucas Park Beautification Project (LPBP) is a 501(c)(3) that sponsors LPDP. In order to have a dog park facility that is relatively safe, clean, and fun, it is necessary for every LPDP member to adhere to the dog park rules and to help enforce the rules by monitoring the playground and reporting issues that cannot be handled easily as they arise. This is a collective effort and success depends on you, the members. Members who fail to comply with LPDP rules or fail to comply with directives from Lucas Park Beautification Project regarding outcome from complaints or incident reports may have their membership either temporarily or permanently revoked.
Membership status is subject to review by the Lucas Park Beautification Project management team in the event of a written complaint regarding either an owner’s or dog’s behavior or repeated disregard for the dog park rules. All members are encouraged to question visitors without current park tags, or speak up regarding people who are not respecting the dog park. Should you have concerns about membership, security, or incidents please send an email to [email protected]
Qualifying for Membership
- Dogs must be at least 4 months old
- Dogs must have proof of current vet administered vaccine (Rabies, Bordetella,DHPP) and current photo as part of application
- Current photo of dog(s) and owner(s)
- Dogs must be spayed or neutered
- Owners must complete an application on the LPDP website and pay the annual registration fee
- All owners on the household’s account must complete a liability waiver before the membership will be approved
- Owner: Any adult member who is accompanying member dog inside the dog park will be considered the “owner” for sake of legal responsibility during that visit.
- Household: Each base membership is considered a “household unit”. Humans and dogs being registered must live at this household to qualify as part of a household.
- Pet Sitter: An adult who is given the responsibility to care for a member’s dog while owner is unavailable. A signed waiver must be submitted before bringing in member dog (s). Non-member dogs may not be brought into the dog park.
- Trespasser: In compliance with City Ordinances 66595 and 57335, anyone entering the facilities without a current membership is considered a trespasser and Lucas Park Beautification Project has the responsibility to report such trespassing to authorities for further action.
Rules (adapted from St. Louis City Revised Code 10.04.220 C)
- Use the dog park at your own risk. Owners are legally and financially responsible for any injury or damage caused by their dog. LPDP and LPBP are not responsible for injuries to humans or dogs.
- Only owners who have completed the LPDP application and signed the liability waiver will be allowed to bring registered dogs into the dog park. If there are two owners on the household’s registration, both owners must complete a liability waiver. Members may bring a human guest with them – but the member must agree to assume responsibility for guest while inside the dog park. Members may not bring canine guests into the dog park, ever. If owners wish to allow a Pet Sitter to bring their registered dog to the park, the Pet Sitter must complete a liability waiver as well.
- Dogs shall not be left unattended.
- Members agree to abide by the “No tag, No admittance, No exceptions” rule. All dogs must wear the LPDP current season tag at all times.
- Dog owners must pick up their dog’s poop and dispose of it in the trash can.
- Dog owners must stop their dog from digging and must attempt to fill any holes caused by their dogs.
- Collars: Dogs must wear a collar or harness in the park at all times.Choke, prong, pinch, spiked, or loose-fitting collars are not permitted.
- Leashes: Dog owners must have the dog’s leash in their possession at all times. If a situation arises in which the dog must be leashed and taken out of the fenced area, the owner is ready to take immediate action. Retractable “Flexie” leashes are not permitted.
- Control: All dogs must be under visual and voice control by owners; excessive barking is not permitted, and uncontrollable dogs must be removed. Having a bad day? Go home, come back later. Dog humping is not permitted. Off leash does not mean out of control.
- Capacity: No member may bring more than three dogs into the dog park at any one time. No more than 25 dogs may be in the dog park at any given time (unless a LPDP/LPBP sanctioned event).
- Gates, Equipment & Pools/Hoses: All gates must be closed. Members must follow guidelines for storage box, pool, hose, and other resource use, as directed by emails and/or signage, per season, as needs arise.
- Courtesy: Be respectful of other member’s wishes; if your dog is creating angst for a member dog or human, adjust the behavior or leave. Be mindful of the amount of time you stay in the park if others are waiting to enter; leave promptly once your dog is finished. Threatening or harassing behavior by owners or their accompanying guests towards other humans or dogs may result in immediate membership termination.
- Resources: Do not take supplies or resources from the grounds, including, not limited to first aid, toys, tools, lawn equipment, etc.
- Professional dog trainers may not use the facilities in the conduct of their business; however, LPDP may from time to time bring trainers to a sanctioned LPDP/LPBP event.
- No children under age 8 are allowed inside the dog park. Children under 14 must be accompanied by an adult. Member dogs may, or may not, have experience being around children; being child-friendly is not a requirement for dog membership and experiences will vary.
- The following are not permitted in the fenced area:
- Dogs under 4 months old
- Female dogs in estrus (heat)
- Sick or injured dogs or dogs with external parasites
- Aggressive, uncontrollable dogs
- Bicycles, roller blades or skates, skateboards, strollers, etc (Wheelchairs or mobility aids/devices are permitted)
- Children under 8 years old
- Glass of any kind
- Alcoholic beverages and smoking
- Food (human or canine, including treats)
- Unsolicited sales activity of any kind
- Firearms (weapons of any kind)
- Dogs that are not neutered or spayed
17. Additional actions not permitted inside the dog park:
- Run, wave arms, shout, scream, or cause unnecessary excitement which may antagonize the dogs
- Sit, stand, climb on or over the fence, trees, pool, or storage boxes
Use of dog park by any dog shall constitute implied consent of the dog’s owner to all of the conditions stated and shall constitute a waiver of liability to the City of St. Louis and Lucas Park Beautification Project (The dog park sponsor) and an agreement and undertaking to protect, indemnify, defend and hold the City of St. Louis and Lucas Park Beautification Project harmless for any injury or damage caused by such dog during any time the dog is in the dog park.
The dog park is NOT responsible for any dog bites or injuries that may occur in the park.